Problems with Laptop Battery

AdventCalendar 18:25 18 Feb 03

The battery on my laptop always sits at 7% charged, never goes up, never goes down. I have to leave the AC Adaptor in all the time or the lights flash, and power is lost after 2/3 minutes. As you can imagine this is annoying and just makes it an expensive, small desktop!!!

any ideas whats up?

I called the manufactrer and they suggested something like re callobrating/configuring the battery???

thanks

AC

AdventCalendar 19:00 18 Feb 03

^^^^

anchor 19:09 18 Feb 03

How old is the laptop and the battery?

accord 19:10 18 Feb 03

i have an IBM Thinkpad A22e and it sometimes does the same. In the battery manager you can select an option to condition the battery which drains then recharges the battery. This clears the %age problem and I tend to condition it every couple of weeks. Hope this helps

AdventCalendar 19:50 18 Feb 03

how do you condition it??

its 11 months old.

AdventCalendar 21:00 18 Feb 03

^^^

fred 21:08 18 Feb 03

Do you know what kind of battery it is?

If you partially charge some kinds or even charge them before they are drained completely they can lose capacity. NiCad batteries are notorious for this behaviour.

NiMeH are much better.Lithium ion batteries are much better in this respect.

To condition the battery discharge it completely then give it a full charge (Try about 24 hours. I can be worth repeating this once or twice.

accord 09:28 19 Feb 03

what laptop do you have?

AdventCalendar 08:48 20 Feb 03

advent 7200

Kyomii 10:08 20 Feb 03

I assume it is still under warranty? If so, then you need to get in touch with the appropriate place to notify them of the problem so that you can at least get a replacement if "conditioning" the battery does not work.

AdventCalendar 22:50 20 Feb 03

Advent have said that the batteries are not included in the warranty, but i can buy a new one from them for £150 to which i replied with 2 words....the 1st being 4 letters long, the 2nd 3 letters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5