Problems with laptop

fazza8 14:49 28 Mar 05

I have a Sony Vaio that has been acting strangely since I let my 14 year old son play on it (Why??Deadly!) I try to use Restore but get a quichly flashed up error message "System Restore has been turned off by group policy" and I am dumped back to the desktop. This is happening with IE but not on every site. Weird. Any ideas?

Eric

Curio 20:29 28 Mar 05

Right click My Computer, Properties, System Restore Tab. Put a tick in the Box to enable System Restore

fazza8 21:24 28 Mar 05

I cannot find this tab. Is it accessible from the Start, My Computer?

Jackcoms 21:26 28 Mar 05

Yes

fazza8 21:30 28 Mar 05

It's not present. I am working on my standalone and it IS present here. That section is missing on the laptop.

VoG II 21:33 28 Mar 05

click here

Sorry it is not easy to follow but the required registry edit is in there.

Jackcoms 21:36 28 Mar 05

And when you've done that, soundly beat your 14-year old and restrict him to an abacus in future.

fazza8 21:42 28 Mar 05

I'll try it tomorrow. I've half a bottle of Australian red in me and I might f%%% up the registry. Thanks friends. I have XP Professional. Will that make a difference?

VoG II 21:44 28 Mar 05

I'm not sure that sound beatings are allowed anymore. I would have thought that it would be more appropriate to scan for malware that could have made this change.

Jackcoms 21:49 28 Mar 05

1). We're not all politically correct.

2). Scan for malware - agreed.

3). Get a sense of humour.

Kate B 22:44 28 Mar 05

fazza8 - I find that half a bottle of Aussie red makes my fingers more nimble on the keyboard ... ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…