problems installing xp home

tranceman 11:01 16 Jan 04

hi
i bought a xp cd for my sister for christmas and i've tried to install it, but every time it reboots after copying files to the hd it goes through the same part of the setup, and then asks me to choose a partition to install it on again and it keeps doing that over and over .
i would gladly smash it if was mine .
the hd in question is completly formatted and has nothing on it at all now because i've tried everything i can think of.

©®@$? 11:16 16 Jan 04

if it is an amd system, then i would recommend going into the bios and loading the defualt settings, then try and install xp..

xp can be rather picky

ventanas 11:18 16 Jan 04

At what point precisely does it break down. It could be ok click here for the full spec on installing.

tranceman 11:29 16 Jan 04

thank's ventanas i'm going to try the floppy and see if that works i'll let you know if it work's . i've tried through the bios but it still keeps doing it. it is an intel mmx

ventanas 11:46 16 Jan 04

Does it actually ask you to choose a partition or create one? If create,I would be inclined to do so and accept the default size and file system, should be ntfs.

tranceman 11:51 16 Jan 04

yes every time it reboots it is like scratched record stuck in a loop always installing. i hav'nt even seen the xp welcome screen yet or put in the key it just does'nt get that far .

3aspect 12:11 16 Jan 04

Try setting your cd-rom as the third boot device,I did an xp install and found that if the cd was the first boot device I kept going round in circles, just as you are.

tranceman 12:14 16 Jan 04

i'll give it a bash no harm in trying thanx

temp003 12:18 16 Jan 04

After copying files to the hard disk, the computer need to restart from the hard disk (not from the CD).

So if BIOS asks you to press any key to restart, don't press any key, just let it be. It will then boot from the hard disk.

If your computer does not have such as message, then remove CD temporarily during restart, and when back to XP graphical interface setup, put CD in again.

temp003 12:19 16 Jan 04

Sorry, the second paragraph should read "So if ... any key to boot from CD, don't press any key ..."

ollie < one> 12:23 16 Jan 04

hi trance man
i had a very similar prob as yourself found it to be the actual boot up disks
i down-loaded from the microsoft site itself twice
i had this prob with the boot up disks finally got boot up disks from boot disk.com and they worked just fine. make sure you get the right ones
ie home or profressional

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…