Problems installing xp on dual boot

Bantam007 23:09 29 Dec 03

I have dual formatted my hard disk (fat32) and installed windows 98 on drive c, but I can't seem to get xp pro to complete its installation.

The problem comes when setup begins to install files, I get this error message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and win32k.sys seems to be the cause. Any ideas where I go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Terrahawk 02:06 30 Dec 03

dual formatted i take it by that you have created two primary partitions and then formated?. page fault in non paged area is usually associated with memory do you have enough? if you can give some more info on your set up someone may be able to offer more advice
eg processor speed? memory (ram)how much? disk size? sorry to throw all these questions at you but the more info you can give may help find a speedy solution to your problem

Bantam007 21:02 30 Dec 03

Thanks for the reply, I managed to get XP installed in the end (computer is an Athlon 1800XP with 512Mb memory, the partitions are a 25:75 split on an 80Gb HD). However I am having all sorts of problems getting things working properly.

I notice that you specify two primary partitions, only one of my partitions is a primary one, it occurred to me later that they should both be primary, but I had already created an extended partition by then. Should I start again?

Sorry for the slow reply I still can't get my broadband connection up and running again.

mrdsgs 21:52 30 Dec 03

if you have partition magic you can change your xp partition (d?) fom extended/logical to primary from within xp without any loss of data. However, it should not matter as xp is happy to dual boot with previous operating systems (in my case w2000) from either type of partition as long as the previous os is primary and contains ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files (hidden system files)

Each time i have set up dual boot i start within the old operating system partition (c) and create a new primary partition (d). I then put in the xp cd whilst in w2000 and tell it to put a fresh xp installation into the new (d) partition.

good luck

mrdsgs

Bantam007 18:15 31 Dec 03

Thanks, I'll try it your way if I can. I've just done a fresh format and partitions and have 98 on C and hopefully will get XP onto d shortly. I think an old scsi card may have been the cause of my initial problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…