Problems installing Wireless USB Adapter DWL-G122

Ladson 11:07 12 Dec 06

Hi,
Just recently bought this to make a Wi-Fi access point out of my PC. Though I can't seem to install it correctly.

I followed the instructions that came with it, installed the driver and utility program, turn off the computer, connect the the device, turn the computer back on... This is where the problems start I think. Now, the PC brings up the thing to find and install the drivers for the new device, but it doesn't find anything.

I tried downloading the latest drivers and installing them but came up with the same problem. Looking at the instructions though, I noticed what I thought might be a key difference. While in the pictures in the instructions it calls the device "D-link AirPlus..." while my PC finds it as "802.11 bg WLAN" with a big yellow ? infront of it.

Not entirely sure myself, but that seems to be an issue that's stopping my PC from putting this device with it's drivers.

Help would be appreiciated, thankyou.
-Ladson

mgmcc 11:40 12 Dec 06

Boot the computer and plug the USB adapter in. Go into Device Manager, double click the wireless adapter to open its "Properties" sheet and click the Driver tab. Click the "Update Driver" button, select 'no' to using Windows Update to find software, and in the next page select "Install from a list or specific location. Then browse to the folder containing the drivers in the CD.

<<< Just recently bought this to make a Wi-Fi access point out of my PC >>>

Not quite sure what you are trying to do, but installing a Wireless Network Adapter doesn't make your PC a Wireless Access Point. The adapter connects *TO* a Wireless Access Point, most commonly the one in a wireless router.

Ladson 12:06 12 Dec 06

Ok, I tried that, it doesn't give me the option about using Windows Update. Also, I noticed here which seems to comfirm what I thought, all the info on that page (Driver Provider, Date, Version, Signer) are all either Unknown or Not Available.
My PC doesn't seem to recognise the device right at all.

About the Access point stuff, when I bought it I was told it could do that. The guy I spoke to quite clearly understood what I wanted and pointed me at this. What I want to do that for is to get my Nintendo Wii, DS and my PSP onto the net.

mgmcc 16:22 12 Dec 06

<<< Ok, I tried that, it doesn't give me the option about using Windows Update.>>>

It should be the first screen to load when you click the Update Driver button click here

<<< Also, I noticed here which seems to confirm what I thought, all the info on that page (Driver Provider, Date, Version, Signer) are all either Unknown or Not Available.>>>

Yes, but presumably all the details are wrong at the moment because the device isn't installed properly with the correct drivers. Once this has been done, it should fall into place.

<<< About the Access point stuff, when I bought it I was told it could do that >>>

You may be able to set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network. This is one in which the computers communicate directly, rather than via a Wireless Access Point (which is an "Infrastructure" wireless network).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…