Problems installing windows XP

beebadoo 13:14 20 Sep 04

Hi

I've been trying to install XP on a friends PC (Duron 1300) and it keeps having problems copying the installation files across during the install, tried it with several drives etc and still have the same problems. After Several attempts it did finally copy everything across and install windows. Then I kept getting error messages when trying to install SP1 (Corrupt file) and Office (Missing some .Cab file).

Eventually I gave up and put the HD in my own pc and everything then installed fine with no problems what so ever. I was expecting to just put the HD back into the PC and it would just re-install drivers etc. However it just goes to a blank screen. I can press F8, and try safe mode, but it still wont run, (again blank screen) Is there anyway around this? I am thinking that it may be because I have an AGP graphics card and the other PC has on-board graphics?

Cheers

Andrew

Jeffers22 13:20 20 Sep 04

More likely that the difference in motherboards, chipsets etc is the problem. The situation you describe is similar to what you would get if you just changed a mobo and tried to reboot.

Have you done a scandisk on the friends HDD? Have you tried a new IDE cable?

beebadoo 13:24 20 Sep 04

Hi

It runs fine when connected to my pc so guess that the HD is not at fault.

Think i will try the ide cables from my machine and try to reinstall.

Thanks

Andrew

beebadoo 09:07 21 Sep 04

OK,

is there anyway of testing to see if the memory is working correctly?

Thanks

Andrew

Noleg24 09:43 21 Sep 04

try a different memory stick...my mother in law to be had the same problem and I was really baffled as to what it was...I first bought a new HDD and mobo but no change...bought a new stick of 256MB RAM and it did the trick and she is now fully protected with SP2 and Zone Alarm and AVG...she still rings from time to time if the slightest things pops up...but nothing too big. what memory do you have at present? you can check the memory during POST when you first switch the PC on...it will be near the top under the CPU speed...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…