Problems Installing Windows

Boffin Boy 18:02 03 Aug 04

Hello.

I am currently working on a computer. It had Windows 98, but there was a problem with it, it kept giving me illegal operation messages, I decided that the best course of action would be to format the hard drive, so I did this. When it was formatted I tried to reinstall windows 98, it never worked, so I decided to try and install Windows 95 on it, after a few tries it worked, but Windows 98 will not install, I know it is not the CD because I have 2 CD's and neither worked.
I have a suspicion that it has been overclocked, could this cause the problem, also could anyone tell me how to find out if it has been overclocked?

Thank you.

JamDaMan 18:09 03 Aug 04

Well it depends what you mean by it won't work. If you keep on getting "Missing CAB errors" when installing then try typings this into MS DOS to setup: setup /c
If you just keep on getting a lot of error messgaes try using a slower RAM card

Boffin Boy 18:13 03 Aug 04

i was getting suwin errors and user.exe errors

JamDaMan 18:27 03 Aug 04

Well i was recently having the same sorts of problems, only i had error being caused in user.exe and a whole load of other errors. I had a 400MHz RAM and then changed it to i htink 333Mhz and it all works fine. Don't go and buy another RAM card unless your sure though, perhaps you could do a temporary swap with a friend or something.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 03 Aug 04

click here sunwinerror messages

Boffin Boy 21:41 03 Aug 04

Thank you for your help.

Boffin Boy 11:03 06 Aug 04

I have now tryed using slower ram, changing the CD drive, finding if it's been overclocked (related to my 'undo overclock' thead), removing pc cards and using other installation CD's. Please give me some more ideas if you can.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…