Problems installing US Robotics gateway/router

narcosis1 15:59 25 Oct 05

I recently purchased a wireless Router and Laptop card bundle from US robotics, I have installed both and they seem to talk to each other. The Network status tells me that I am conected to the internet through the USR gateway, but I can't launch the browser: when I do, it doesn't tell me the usual 'page unavailable offline' message, it just keeps the sand timer going and the windows flag flapping. Am wondering if it is still tying to launch explorer through my normal-non wirless (and now disconnected) broadband modem.
If it helps in terms of diagnosis: I called USR (they just got irate with me), when after all they suggested didn't work they got me to get up a DOS screen into which they told me to type ipconfig as a cmd.- This was not recognised as an internal or external comand... They then told me they could not help...
I am using XP SP2 on a Fujitsu Siemens domestic Lap Top (which is pretty new and virus free). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

woodchip 16:07 25 Oct 05

Have you followed the Setup Instructions? or just took a quick look, because of the excitement trying to use it. The Router and Laptop Card have to use the same Settings that's Password and SSID etc. Do not try setting up Security until you get it working

woodchip 16:10 25 Oct 05

If you are only using this Wireless with the Laptop you need to connect the Laptop with Ethernet cable to Set the Router up. You will not do anything until

narcosis1 16:15 25 Oct 05

To the letter. But will uninstall both and try again if you think that will help. Thanks for your suggestion.

woodchip 21:56 25 Oct 05

PS forgot to Add, If you are using the Laptop Card and Have a Ethernet Socket in the Laptop. Go to Device Manager and Disable the Onboard Ethernet as This stopped mine working

narcosis1 10:03 26 Oct 05

Thanks,will try this evening and will let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…