Problems installing RAM system halts?

White Knight 13:46 10 May 03

now i am completly stumped on this one im trying to add some more RAM to my computer 256MB of it as at the moment it only has 128MB but once placed in and connected propaly as soon as i switch on the system halts at boot up my computer came with XP a year ago (dell dimension 2100) the only thing i noticed was that the RAM i have brought is 133 MHz and the manual says frequency 100MHz? would this be why? even safe mode halts when loading iomdisk.sys once the new RAM is taking out again it works fine (im on it now) any help would be greatly appricated thanx White Knight.

thats almost certainly the problem. are you trying to mix the two?
without trying to sound mean it is a good idea to read the manual before you buy.

White Knight 14:08 10 May 03

well i did read somewhere you can have highier clockspeeds but no lower is this true? ive tried just using the new RAM but nothing even appears on screen

woodchip 14:14 10 May 03

No it should still work but only at 100 change the memory round, the 256 should be in the slot whare the 128 is

read the motherboard manual ,what does it tell you that it can support?

White Knight 14:16 10 May 03

tried chaniging round still with no affect it halts when loading iomdisk.sys

White Knight 14:20 10 May 03

Architecture= non-ECC SDRAM modules

Memory connectors= two; gold contacts

Min memory= 64MB (non-ECC)

Max memory= 512MB (non-ECC)

Frequency= 100 MHz

Voltage 3.3V

Data bus width= 64 bits

thats it any ideas?

White Knight 14:42 10 May 03

should the biggest module go first then?

if it says 100 it probably means 100. but i suspect you have ECC ram

click here
try this you need a number off a label on your case.
dell machines are not standard pc s in certain respects but you should be able to find your answer there.

hope it works out for you H.

woodchip 21:33 10 May 03

"Yes". But if it will not work it's because the memory modules do not match some will work together even when they are different speed's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…