Problems installing new USB 2 external hard drive

tez01 16:07 10 Jan 08

I have a new Athena HDD USB 2 enclosure (80Gb), it should be plug and play, but WINDOWS XP is not recognizing it? The new drive is showing OK on the HARD DRIVES of the Device Manager, but is not registered in the DISK MANAGEMENT on the COMPUTER MANAGEMENT tool? or on the software that came with the new drive? It may be that the new disk needs FORMATING? but I do not know how to do this? as I have no way to "SEE" the new drive? I already have 1 40Gb and 2 750Gb internal hard drives, and separate DVD and W/RW drives 5 in all but I do not think that this is (or should) affect the new external hard drives? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.Tez.

johndrew 16:32 10 Jan 08

In `Disk Management` have you scrolled down in the area that shows your HDDs, CDR/W, etc? It should show up there even if it needs to be formatted. When you find it right click on it and the options should be there; you may have to `Delete Partition` before you can select `Format` when you do this the Wizard will run and walk you through the process.

tez01 18:28 10 Jan 08

Hi, and thanks for responding. The new disk does not show up in the COMPUTER MANAGER anywhere?. thats the problem. If I cant see it in the MANAGER or on "MY COMPUTER" I cant do anything?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 10 Jan 08

If it won't show in Disk Management
1. check connections
2. check power to drive
if above ok then its faulty

send it back.

tez01 16:13 11 Jan 08

Thanks for your help on this, connections and power are OK, what I don't understand is why then is it showing up OK on the DEVICE MANAGER? Obviously Windows is picking it up if it there, so why will it not show in the Disk Manager? Puzzle. Many thanks. Tez.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5