Problems installing new external CD/CDRW

fruityfj 20:06 23 Aug 03

I'm having problems trying to set up a new Freecom Classic External CD/CDRW drive. Basically the problem is that my PC (running Win XP Pro SP1) can't recognise the drive. I've tried every avenue I can think of, plugging in the USB 1 & 2 ports, hot-plugging, unplugging & replugging power, using every option & sub-option on the 'Add Hardware Wizard', scanned for P&P alterations in Device Manager, rebooted & rebooted. The light on the front of the unit flashes quickly continuously but that's it.

No recognition. CD drawer doesn't respond to being pressed. I've also tried it on my laptop with identical results - or rather no result. All other USB devices work OK. Have tried going via a powered Hub & direct on PC's own USB ports.

I have a feeling it might be a dodgy unit, as I noticed that when you insert either the USB or power cords, the chassis on the inside seems slightly loose or certainly gives way a little. Perhaps this is normal?

Freecom Tech Support only works Mon-Fri(9-5.30). Nothing relevant on their website or FAQ. Nothing AT ALL re troubleshooting of ANY sort in the Manual (ridiculous).

Anybody got any ideas? Seems a bit of a diddy unit anyway. Should probably have spent more (£89 in Dixon's). Grateful for ANY ideas though.

jaygice 20:31 23 Aug 03

i had the same prob i just downloaded the drivers off there site and it was fine it seems there is alot of peps having probs with them give that a go anyway worth a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…