Problems installing linux

Legolas 16:32 30 Aug 03

I am running WinXP and due to a college project I want to install Redhat linux 6.2 as this is the one we are going to be using.

I downloaded the ISO file from the redhat site and burned it to disk, the problem is I cannot get it to install, it will not boot from the CD and when I make a boot up disk on floppy and try and boot from that it gets as far as 'searching for boot from floppy...ok' then it hangs and goes no further.

I have made the floppy more than once to eliminate the chance that the floppy is corrupted in some way but I get the same result.

Can any linux gurus out there help?

seedie 16:42 30 Aug 03

are you using Nero?

Chegs ® 16:46 30 Aug 03

click here

Seems a common prob with linux iso's.Try here for suggestions.

woodchip 16:49 30 Aug 03

To create the boot floppy you have to do it in DOS using Rawright and point it to the boot Image it will tell you to put a floppy in when it's ready. Rather you than me loading Version 6.2

Legolas 17:03 30 Aug 03

Thanks for the replies.

seedie I am using nero I read on another thread that I can burn a disk and make it bootable using nero?

Thanks for the link chegs.

woodchip I created the floppy from DOS using rawrite and copied the boot image.

any more suggestions anyone?

muppetmark 17:15 30 Aug 03

you could try Iso recorder from click here for creating you ISO images

seedie 17:56 30 Aug 03

Ah good. I did this last night with the mandrake ISOs.

To burn a bootable CD using nero you use the bottom option in the express thingy. Don't use Data option but the "disc image or saved project".

Bon voyage

woodchip 18:14 30 Aug 03

You do not need to put the ISO's on a CD put them into a folder on hard drive boot with the boot disc and point it to the Iso images on HD that's what I did with RedHat9

woodchip 18:16 30 Aug 03

Do not forget that Linux call's HD's a HDA drive giving each a number like HDA1 which should be your C:\ drive

Legolas 18:45 30 Aug 03

Hi all.

Thanks for all your replies. I had trouble finding redhat 6.2 to download and the site I found only had the one ISO file to download but after looking at other versions they all seem to have more than ISO file so maybe I did'nt get it all.

Anyway although it is 6.2 we are going to be installing at college I decided to buy the latest version 9 it cost me £6+£1 postage. I will let you know how I get on when it is deliverd and I am sure that I will be back for more advice.

Woodchip is it 9 you have installed if so I will be bending your ear lots when I get my copy lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…