problems installing external dvd writer - help!

2shortplanks 11:01 14 Aug 07

Hi people, help a complete idiot with little technological awareness please....
I have a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop using Windows XP. The internal drive has gone kaput and as space wasn't a problem (and someone advised me it was cheaper than getting an internal replacement....) I have purchased an external dvd writer - Liteon 20x - instead.
I plug everything in and can hear the writer power up, but nothing works. I've tried installing hardware via the control panel but this doesn't work either.
On another issue, I've bought another printer - HP Deskjet D1400 series - that I can't install until the disc drive is operational!
Thanks!

HCOOH 11:40 14 Aug 07

Have you tried a reboot with the device plugged in, sometimes aids in recognition.

HCOOH 11:54 14 Aug 07

Did you get an icon or a message in the notification area when you plugged it in for the first time.

2shortplanks 12:10 14 Aug 07

Hi, I managed to get a resolution from the helproom - it involved deleting entries in the registry editor, so wasn't exactly straightforward if you're not a techie. Done now though, thanks for all your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…