problems installing broadband

palinka 15:29 20 Sep 05

Friend of mine is installing FreeOn-line Broadband. He has filters everywhere, inc on his satellite TV line and is having problems with his phone line - calls "drop" (as with a mobile if you go out of range), and sometimes cut off altogether, and outgoing calls are very crackly. Ingoing calls are no problem. Any advice , please?

wobblymike 15:34 20 Sep 05

Should normally only need 2 filters - 1 at point where telephone line connects to modem for broadband and 1 at point where telephone handset connects to wall or extension lead.

palinka 15:59 20 Sep 05

that's intersting, because everything I've read suggests you need one on each extension, etc. So in my house where there are 2 phones - one on an extension - and a second extension goes to the computer, I have filter where the line comes into the house; one on the extension phone and a third on the computer extension.

Jackcoms 16:06 20 Sep 05

You DO need a microfilter on every phone socket that has something connected to it - and that includes faxes and Sky boxes.

If you are still getting crackly lines you may have a faulty filter. You might have to do a bit of trial and error with various different filters.

If you are getting dropped calls and are using a wireless phone that may be because some wireless handsets do not like the high frequency BB signals which can interfere with the 'phone.

Jackcoms 16:11 20 Sep 05

Have a look at this click here

palinka 16:24 20 Sep 05

thanks Jackcoms.
No, his phones are not cordless. I've suggested the trial and error swapping round of filters; meanwhile one of his phones now isn't working at all. Thanks for the link; looks very helpful. I'll print out the info and pass it on.

palinka 16:41 20 Sep 05

Actually, on closer look, I don't think it's going to help him much; tho it's a very useful site re installing BB. Wish I'd seen it when I installed mine.

palinka 12:32 26 Sep 05

At long last he has succeeded. Though I'm not sure that all his telephones are connected; those that are in use are now OK. and the freeonline helpline talked him through the set up so that he is now online again.
Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…