problems insalling modem

ruthcruet 17:35 06 Mar 05

Hi anyone out there that can help me??? I have an XP pro that came up with Browseau DLL recently and could not access anything on the computer, so a friend of my daughters re-installed XP for me. since then I have been unable to get onto the Internet as it say's I have no modem?? I would be very graetful if there is anyone out there that can help me put this right. I am fairly new to computers, so would need to be shown how to do this in bog standard language please[pretty please LOL]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 06 Mar 05

How do you connect

Broad band USB modem?

Dialup external or internal modem?

cable modem (ntl / telewest)?

dan11 17:50 06 Mar 05

Go to control panel > system > hardware > device manager > modem. click here

It may have a yellow ! next to it. Right click the modem and pick up date driver. Put the modem driver disk in the cdrom, it should find the files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 07 Mar 05

ruthcruet

Please post your replies on the site (box at bottom of this page)so everyone can see and reply to them.

Thank you for your prompt reply,I am running on AOL dial-up with a internal modem.

Have you tried the suggestion from dan11 yet? Did it work?

ruthcruet 02:34 16 Mar 05

Hi Dan11, sorry I have taken so long to reply, but I have been haveing problems with installing a Printer. I do not have a modem disc as the PC was a gift and it came with nothing,[no disc's, no paper work, nothing]

dan11 11:44 16 Mar 05

Hi ruthcruet.

Then you will need to find which modem you have installed.

There are many ways to identify a modem. the easiest is to download everest home. Download it from here click here
It's free. Put it on a disk or memory stick and run it on the computer with the modem problem.

Look at heading devices \physical devices \ pci devices. Is the modem listed there. If so what is it called. click here

Or you can open the case and take the modem out. there will be a series of numbers and letters printed on the board. It can be identified through this.

If you can provide details of the modem, then drivers can be found to may it work.

ruthcruet 23:18 16 Mar 05

Hi Dan 11, thank you for your advice, I already have'Everest'on this Pc[Win98]so how do I transfer it on to a CD? in order to load it onto the XP and check for a Modem!I clicked on the bit about-Device\Phisical Devices\pci Device, what should I be looking for?[the example was Bus 0,Device 0,Function 0]

dan11 23:29 16 Mar 05

Hi.

Download the prog (exe) to your 98 desktop. The self extracting one is about 3Mb. You can either burn it to a cdr or put it on a memory card or stick ( if you have them ).

Run the programme on XP and see if the modem shows.

the highlighted device, in the piccy, shows that this laptop has a AT&T Lucent Win Modem. This is the sort of info that is needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…