problems with icons,media player and more

spmilligan 11:08 16 Sep 07

Hello all,for about a week now every time i log on to my username the desktop icons have moved, to a different area on the desktop, always the same place,i move them back, lock the desktop , align to grid but to no avail the next time they have moved again.
Another problem is in windows media player i have no picture on the videos only sound. Yet when i play videos on realplayer they are fine.
Yet another problem is left hand side of taskbar, i used to have shortcuts to media player, clear desktop etc, these have gone.
I have tried to restore system on several different dates but each time it comes back cannot restore.
I dont know if these are all connected or not but it does seem coincidence it all happend at a similar time. I have also thought about it being a programm i downloaded but got rid of them to eliminate that. Have also run ccleaner. Any ideas?
Many, many thanks.
Spike65

brundle 22:53 16 Sep 07

Desktop icons; click here

Can't explain why it's doing what you describe - make sure Active Desktop is not enabled click here

WMP and Realplayer use different codecs. WMP codecs; click here
If that doesn't help Klite Codec Pack, Standard is usually enough for most people. click here

I think you are referring to the quick-launch bar when you mention shortcuts in the taskbar; click here

spmilligan 18:29 18 Sep 07

Thanks, for that brundle. I did everything and it all worked except the media player bit, but then when i turned the computer on today it had all moved, dissapeared again. I thinks its something a bit deeper than that. Nothing showing on antivirus, malware, spyware, regcure etc. Will have to just keep playing about with it.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…