problems with hard drive after reformatting ....

BENTEYE 20:57 20 Jun 03

after reformatting my sons pc which has a 20 gb hard drive fitted - windows now tells me that the hard drive is only 7.9 gb - any help would be
the m/c is a dell dimesion p3 700 with xp o/s

check the cylinder/head/sectors settings in the bios (and LBA mode is selected)

BENTEYE 22:13 20 Jun 03

thanks but no joy there

Valvegrid 22:34 20 Jun 03

Have you gone into FDISK and set the partitions correctly.

Paul.

keith-236785 00:04 21 Jun 03

it could be that the motherboard can only accept a maximum of 8Gig hard drives without software from the drive manufacturer which tricks the motherboard into accepting larger drives.

if this rings a bell then you will have to go to the web site of the hard drive manufacturer and download the relevent files to do this & the instructions.

OR

are you installing windows 95 release A, i seem to recall that win95A only accepted a maximum of (i think it was) 8 GIG

couple of ideas for you but i dont have a firm answer

good luck anyway.

woodchip 00:22 21 Jun 03

You have a bios limitation it need flashing with new bios

woodchip 00:24 21 Jun 03

PS you will need to go to dell for the flash file and flash utilitie

Bodi 08:35 21 Jun 03

If the disk is partitioned, you should use Fdisk and remove - in this order - logical drive, extended drive, and primary drive. Restart Fdisk and (if required) re-partition your drive and then format.

This MAY be a cure and solve the problem.

Bodi

Bodi 16:23 26 Jun 03

I hope it's just the thread I've killed and not the computer. lol

Bodi

BENTEYE 16:42 26 Jun 03

flashed the bios from dell support site - and it should now support drives bigger than 8gb once I get round tpo reformatting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…