Problems with Google

Barrie_G 11:02 04 Oct 03

Hi I'm running an xp computer, yesterday evening and this morning I am having problems in getting onto the Google search engine, I can use the google search function on the BTOpenworld homepage but cannot get onto google.co.uk to do a search has anyone else had any problems or have any suggestions to cure this.

bvw in bristol 11:15 04 Oct 03
  Barrie_G 11:44 04 Oct 03

Thanks for the link but...

Downloaded and ran the removal tool, "Qhost not found on your computer" anyone else got any other suggestions?

VoG II 11:47 04 Oct 03

Have a search for a file called HOSTS (no file extension). If you find it, open it in notepad and see if there's a line that refers to Google. If there is, rename the file to HOSTS.OLD and try again.

MAJ 11:55 04 Oct 03

Or just delete the line that refers to Google in the Hosts file.

Barrie_G 11:58 04 Oct 03

Thanks VoG, thats cleared it, is it ok just to delete the now called hosts.old? its in C:\WINDOWS\Help.

VoG II 12:00 04 Oct 03

You don't need a HOSTS file - here's what it does click here

When I had a similar problem I just deleted mine.

Credit is due to jazzypop for this.

AubreyS 15:05 05 Oct 03

I've just had a look at HOSTS on my PC and just a little way down it say's... Adservers and other cra**y sites:
This doesn't look right to me, Should I delete all whats in this file, delete HOSTS or leave it alone?

VoG II 15:10 05 Oct 03

Rename it to HOSTS.OLD and see what happens.

AubreyS 15:14 05 Oct 03

Thanks VoG. I'll let you know what, or if anything happens. (I saw the registration VOG 11 the other day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…