Problems with Gmail and OE/Thunderbird

justjill 19:33 02 Apr 08

Apologies for reposting but I didn't get any replies the first time.

I've just started using Thunderbird but have kept OE just to check that all my emails are getting through and they're not! I have POP3 enabled for my Gmail account and assumed I got all my messages in OE but now it seems that some are received by Outlook Express, some are received by Thunderbird and only a few are received by both. I haven't set up any spam filters and my settings seem to be okay. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I was hoping to ditch OE for Thunderbird but if this continues I'll have to ditch both and use Gmail on the web. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jill

octal 19:43 02 Apr 08

I'm not sure if I can help you much because you appear to be receiving some emails, the only thing I can think to check is to make sure the port is set to 995 and security settings are set to SSL for Googlemail.

justjill 19:48 02 Apr 08

I've already checked the port settings for POP and SMTP and all's as it should be. That's what's so puzzling!

woodchip 20:11 02 Apr 08

If you used Flock Browser, you can configure it to work with Web, G-Mail, And it also works with your Outlook Express click here

cocteau48 20:20 02 Apr 08

I can confirm from experience ,just as octal says,in order to receive Googlemail in T'bird you must,under accounts/googlemail account/server settings/security settings....have the SSL button selected.
The port will change to 995 automatically when the SSL button is selected.

justjill 20:36 02 Apr 08

SSL is definitely selected for both servers.

Flock looks interesting. I might give that a go if I have no joy with Thunderbird.

octal 21:20 02 Apr 08

Flock is an Internet browser by the way, not an email client.

DieSse 22:17 02 Apr 08

You will normally receive email with the client you use first to pick it up.

Unless you have changed a setting to leave mail on the server, the act of picking it up will also delete it from the server.

Using two different clients for collecting emails is IMO a sure-fire recipe for confusion.

justjill 06:52 03 Apr 08

A non-techy friend just suggested the same thing and I think that's probably it - blindingly obvious, now that I think about it! Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…