Problems getting a modem to work

s99Raj 20:31 05 Sep 03

I'm having real problems getting a brand new (bought today - Sep 5)internal modem to work.
It's a NetoDragon 56K Fax Modem, andcomes with a CD containing drivers.

I've just bought a brand new 60GB Hard Drive, and installed XP Professional on it, asking it to format the Hard Drive in NTFS format. It's done that with no problem.

But when I come to installing the modem driver, XP finds it but after installing the driver comes up with the message :

This device cannot start (Code 10)

There is still a yellow question mark next to this PCI device under Device Manager. I really am stuck with what to do. Any ideas, please?

Philip2 20:49 05 Sep 03

How did you install your modem ? some require you to install the drivers first turn of your computer put your card in and reboot Windows should then find your modem.

s99Raj 20:54 05 Sep 03

I installed it according to the instructions: switch the PC off, install the modem, switch the PC on and the PC will find the PCI serial controller (which it does), insert the CD containing the driver and follow the on-screen instructions, which I do, bu then I get Code 10 again.

Prior to all this I had installed the m/b drivers and Service Pack 1.

harry_b 21:02 05 Sep 03

Try disabling or removing some hardware to free up resources, if your motherboard has onboard devices which are not in use then this would be a good place to start, onboard firewire, raid, sound, network. if you have these on the motherboard then you should be able to disable them in the bios, once you have the modem working then you can enable the devices you need to use, most times the resources will then be reassigned more effectively.

s99Raj 21:21 05 Sep 03

Disabling resources doesn't seem to help.

woodchip 21:21 05 Sep 03

Start from scratch and use Fat32

woodchip 21:26 05 Sep 03

Can I ask why have you used ntfs format

s99Raj 21:35 05 Sep 03

NTFS is the recommended one isn't it? It's supposed to be more efficient etc.

I don't REALLY, REALLY want to have to start all over again, esp. if it's not guaranteed to work, or is it?

It's a brand new hard drive and a brand new modem under XP Professional. It doesn't make sense that these don't go together!

s99Raj 21:37 05 Sep 03

Doing a search on this problem shows a lot of other people have had the same one and there doesn't seem to be just one solution to solve this. Unless someone here knows better.

Paranoid Android 21:52 05 Sep 03

The hard disk file format should make no difference to the modem. However this is a modem that is known to have installation problems.

Windows XP is pretty good at getting things working on its own. Try uninstalling the driver, then let windows try to find a default driver. There may be a Motorolla driver that might work.

Try sinding an updated driver on the net, for example click here

Have you installed SP1?

Marvin

woodchip 21:55 05 Sep 03

In my opinion for what it's worth, No normal computer user needs NTFS on a home desktop it is restrictive on your use. Fat32 is the best for home, NTFS is mainly for Business use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…