problems formatting c drive on laptop

makie 00:28 07 May 03

I have a Packard Bell laptop with amd duron 700/running windows millennium. The problem is it will not boot up whatever I do. I have decided to format the hard drive but after typing at the c prompt formatc: it just comes up with the message “the following files are missing or corrupt :\windows\system\vmm32.vxd”.
There is nothing on the hard drive that I need that I haven’t got backed up so I just want to format the hard drive and install xp, that side of it I can do. Any simple ideas of how to format the hard drive would be appreciated.

hugh-265156 00:46 07 May 03

have you got a restore disk or full copy of xp?

jeez 01:04 07 May 03

do you have a bootable windows cd or floppy?

makie 01:06 07 May 03

I have the full copy of xp, the problem is I cannot get it to boot at all millennium. Just a dos black screen with the c promt but as i said when put in after the promt, formatc:\ it shows the message I have posted above

hugh-265156 01:08 07 May 03

click here only thing i could find

jeez 01:09 07 May 03

makie, I am a little confused are you trying to install xp or millennium? Have you tried booting using one of these disks? exactly which windows cd's do you have?

hugh-265156 01:10 07 May 03

oops click here

makie 01:11 07 May 03

if i try and boot of the cd there are messages that come up:-

c:\windows\ifshlp.sys.
c:windows\system\vmm32.vxd

saying these are missing or corrupt
so will not boot of the cd or floppy recovery disk I have

hugh-265156 01:13 07 May 03

sounds like its not booting from the cd. its trying to boot from c drive .put the cd in before you turn off then switch on with the xp cd in the drive.
if it still trys to boot from c drive check the boot sequence in your bios

hugh-265156 01:16 07 May 03

really sorry this even click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…