Problems with floppy drive

westway 14:53 23 Jan 03
  westway 14:53 23 Jan 03

My floppy drive has recently started to 'act-up'. If I copy files from my hard drive to drive A, I have no problem. However if I copy files from another computer and put them into my A drive for some reason these files are deleted and the files that were previously copied are written onto the disk.

Any ideas?

Diemmess 15:45 23 Jan 03

My guess is that the head tracking is not accurate any more. Replace the A: drive asap.

If I am right then please transfer any vital data on your floppies back to your HD before you replace it......because if I am right the new drive will not read the old floppies - just like another computer.

Once this problem is over, you should be able to format and use your old floppys again for fresh files copied on to them.

I could have it quite wrong - but my first computer a Tandy had a single sided 8" truly floppy drive. Everything, data, o/s and program had to go on the floppy! ........ Tandys recommended that "an engineer should re-align the seek head on the drive at least yearly to avoid unreadable disks.

westway 15:56 23 Jan 03

Thanks for the lead. The computer is only a few weeks old so I get in touch with the supplier and see what they say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…