Problems with an external hard drive and NTFS $Mft

dynamikel 18:06 26 Sep 04

I have an external 250GB external USB hard drive to move data between 2 computers in 2 different locations. On the original computer (Pentium III 350GHz) I have no problem, but when I move the drive to the second computer (Pentium 4 3.0GHz) if I try to copy files I get the error message "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file R:\$Mft. The data has been lost. The srror may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or a network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
Both computers are running Windows XP Home SP2, the original is FAT32 and the Pentium 4 is NTFS. Anyone know how to fix this?

buscrew 18:38 26 Sep 04

It may be that when you disconnect from the first PC, Windows is still writing to the disk from the drive cache. Do you just unplug it, or do you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option from the systray area. I would suggest trying the second option prior to removal, even though it not strictly required in XP. In these days of 8Mb drive cache, Windows sometimes needs time to catch up.

dynamikel 22:00 26 Sep 04

No - I don't think it's that. I wait until my first computer is switched off before disconnecting.

noworriesmate 11:13 12 Jan 05

I have identical problem as described by dynamichael .When the Hard drive is attached everything is fine but the write delay message appears after 5 - 10 minutes after first connection.The external hard drive is a Medion badged (Seagate)160gig and the problem only occurs when attached to my Medion Pc running on Xp sp2 . When attached to other Xp sp2 machines, no problem occurs even when attched to a windows 2000 machine everything okay.
Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve please.
Dynamicheal was your delay erroy problem resolved?

dynamikel 11:39 12 Jan 05

I have partly resolved this problem by simply stopping using this external hard drive as a portable storage and keeping it attached to one computer only. I had to completely reformat it and start again, and so far no problems, but it isn't doing what I had originally wanted it to - acting as portable storage.

So problem resolved, but not satisfactorily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…