Problems with existing wireless network

scp99 13:42 21 Apr 06

I am having problems with my exiting wireless network. Issues like intermittent connection to the internet, several ip addresses taking a long time to be applied etc. Instead of troubleshooting as I do not seem to have had much joy I intend to create another network completly afresh. The previous network worked perfectly for about three years. How do I effectively delete the previous network. As I have reset my ADSL/Router/Modem back to factory default and have attempted unsucessfully amend the settings to the network. I have changed the network name and the wep encryption key, I have enabled dymacially assigned IP addresses. Any advice of how to go about would be greatly appreaciated. I have a little knowledge but not an indepth knowledge. Intend to do this this weekend. Also considering upgrading the router to a faster one.

ade.h 14:47 21 Apr 06

We could use a bit more info.

Make, model, age, firmware revision number. Adapters used (again, make and model). OS. Position of router in relation to large metal objects, sources of radio waves, etc.

scp99 14:57 21 Apr 06

Sorry ade.h

Current Hardware /Software

OS XPhome [both] 2 computers on network HP laptop centrino processor & dell desktop

ADSL Router Modem Dratek 2600We
Only adapter is Thompson USB on the desktop.

Hope this helps a little

Any advice would be appreciated :-)

ade.h 17:20 21 Apr 06

Although it is theoretically possible to delete spare network connections (numbered from 2 onwards), you cannot actually delete the first one as such, but only disable it. The best approach to that is to start from scratch as if you had never done this before and then, if you end up with "Wireless Network Connection 2" you can delete the old one and rename the new one, though you may conceivably need to rename the new one first or even rename them both. That's assuming that you end up with two, which does not always happen.

The thing is; I doubt that this will cure your problem because the underlying cause will likely still be present.

scp99 18:42 23 Apr 06

thanks for your advice.

I will try over the weekend and see how I get on.

Once again thanks for taking the trouble to assist me.

scp99 09:33 25 Jan 08

thanks for the advice it appears to have now been rectified

setecio 11:52 25 Jan 08

lol ... only took 2 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…