Problems with .exe files

Rogerthedog 12:40 28 Sep 03

Seems I've had the virus after I opened the scam email from "Microsoft". I've managed to grt rid using the links that some of you suggested but it's obviously left a bit of damage behind. Every time I click on one of my icons the program won't open and I get a message saying "Can't find something or other .exe" This is on all programmes apart from Internet Explorer. My system is XP. HELP!!

MAJ 12:43 28 Sep 03

Which program did you use to remove it, Rogerthedog? And, as you're using XP, did you disable System Restore before removing the virus?

JIM 12:50 28 Sep 03

A lot of damage in my view would call for a reninstall of XP at least over the top of what you have.(repair/upgrade which would mean reinstall of updates poss)

I would suggest that you carry out a sfc /scannow from the run command to see if windows will at least put back your original exe files and others.

Rogerthedog 12:54 28 Sep 03

I'm at home now and the problem is with my machine at work. I think it was PC washer or something like that. I couldn't even open Sys Restore to turn disable it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…