problems with entire PC

Daisy22 16:24 03 Mar 09

My friend has problems with her PC, the suggestions I have made have not helped, ie. system restore, degragmenting.

None of her programmes are opening up, everything is extremely slow, she tried to run an AVG virus scan but nothing happens. She had some emails today so it was working, her internet is definitely connected but IE won't open,oulook won't open, but she can't open Word documents or any other programmes.

It's beyond me to know what she can try next, any suggestions please

User-1229748 16:41 03 Mar 09

did you try system restore from safe mode? to enter safe mode keep tapping f8 at boot up

DieSse 16:53 03 Mar 09

It sounds very much as if she's got a serious virus/malware infection.

In this sort of scenario, what I would do is to take out the hard drive and virus/malware scan it on a well protected second system.

It needs to be scanned with better things than AVG.

I would use NOD32, PrevX, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D as a starter, and see where it goes from there.

skidzy 17:21 03 Mar 09

This program (AVP ) will do a very in depth scan and will take some time,several hours.

From kaspersky click here

Use this with Malwarebytes and Spybot SD,all can be downloaded and saved to a flashdrive or cd.

Mbam click here
Spybot SD click here

It might also be worth running the system file checker;

Assuming xp

Start / run and type CMD and enter,then type

SFC /SCANNOW

And enter.

You may need your xp disc.

Similar if Vista;

In your start search box type CMD,now right click and run as administrator and type

SFC /SCANNOW

And enter,again your may need the Vista dvd.

(note the space between C and / )

wee eddie 17:27 03 Mar 09

What software has she got loaded onto her PC?

What software is used regularly and what is normally dormant or unused?

What is the basic specification of the PC in question and what Operating System is she using.

DieSse 18:43 03 Mar 09

"....she can't open Word documents or any other programmes."

That's serious, and suggests that it's pointless trying to download and run security programs at this stage.

wee eddie 18:47 03 Mar 09

More than one Anti-Virus Program loaded

ronalddonald 22:24 10 Mar 09

daisy 22 where are you on the computer problems have you followed the advise have you sorted the comp out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac