Problems with e-mails

Mr Beaujangles 23:19 13 Oct 08

Hi folks, I keep getting a really irritating problem when using my e-mails. It keeps defaulting on to the user name adn password log on page - telling me that my password has been rejected. Despite numerous attempts to enter the correct password, it still keeps telling me is rejected.

Here is the message I get:-
"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.virgin.net', Server: 'pop.virgin.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Authentication failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

My Internet explorer is fine and I have no problem getting on the web - just the e-mails.

It is IE7 with outlook express 6 on an XP version 5.1 I'm running.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mr Beaujangles

TonyV 23:40 13 Oct 08

I had a similar problem some time ago. I deleted the e mail account and then re-created it using all the same information. It then worked fine. In OE6 go to Tools/Accounts and do the necessary in there.

TonyV

Mr Beaujangles 00:42 14 Oct 08

Hi TonyV, I tried your suggestion and it seems to have worked a partial solution. I have four people logged in to use e-mails on my account - one of them being myself. When I try and access the e-mails on my page, I get all the errors. When I try and access them from any of the other users pages - no problems now but, whenever I go back to my own page I get the same old message. THis is driving me nuts!

Mr Beaujangles

TonyV 13:54 14 Oct 08

It suggests a wee problem with your page. Is there anyway you can reset that?

TonyV

T I M B O 14:02 14 Oct 08

I have looked into this a little and found that the registery may need to be cleaned up a bit, here is a programe that may help you in ur quest.

click here

Once you have installed this you will note that on the left hand side you shall see a paint brush, well lclick that & then run cleaner button bottom left and repeat process till all items are gone. Then, on the left again, you will see some blue bricks & thats the registery cleaner, click that then click scan for issues. If this does not cure ur problem you will for sure have a cleaner machine.

Best of luck.........

birdface 14:05 14 Oct 08

Virgin e-mails were down for 4 days last week.But back on now.

birdface 14:07 14 Oct 08
  T I M B O 14:10 14 Oct 08

WTG buteman lol. I'm just reading that article.

Rahere 14:18 14 Oct 08

CCleaner will also clean your registry - below the brush icon id the registry cleaner - always check results before you agree to delete, if in doubt don't delete or at least back up the registry first!!

Mr Beaujangles 23:28 16 Oct 08

Lads - thanks for all the tips and advice. Tonight - I couldn't get on my browser at all.

I have done anotehr restore back to the 2nd of October and - so far - all looks well. This would also take me back beyond the Virgin problems highlighted in the article buteman posted. I'll keep a note of the link here and if need be - I'll come back to it.

For now though I'll say it is resolved.

Regards

beau

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…