Problems with e-mails

Mr Beaujangles 23:19 13 Oct 08

Hi folks, I keep getting a really irritating problem when using my e-mails. It keeps defaulting on to the user name adn password log on page - telling me that my password has been rejected. Despite numerous attempts to enter the correct password, it still keeps telling me is rejected.

Here is the message I get:-
"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.virgin.net', Server: 'pop.virgin.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Authentication failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

My Internet explorer is fine and I have no problem getting on the web - just the e-mails.

It is IE7 with outlook express 6 on an XP version 5.1 I'm running.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mr Beaujangles

TonyV 23:40 13 Oct 08

I had a similar problem some time ago. I deleted the e mail account and then re-created it using all the same information. It then worked fine. In OE6 go to Tools/Accounts and do the necessary in there.

TonyV

Mr Beaujangles 00:42 14 Oct 08

Hi TonyV, I tried your suggestion and it seems to have worked a partial solution. I have four people logged in to use e-mails on my account - one of them being myself. When I try and access the e-mails on my page, I get all the errors. When I try and access them from any of the other users pages - no problems now but, whenever I go back to my own page I get the same old message. THis is driving me nuts!

Mr Beaujangles

TonyV 13:54 14 Oct 08

It suggests a wee problem with your page. Is there anyway you can reset that?

TonyV

T I M B O 14:02 14 Oct 08

I have looked into this a little and found that the registery may need to be cleaned up a bit, here is a programe that may help you in ur quest.

click here

Once you have installed this you will note that on the left hand side you shall see a paint brush, well lclick that & then run cleaner button bottom left and repeat process till all items are gone. Then, on the left again, you will see some blue bricks & thats the registery cleaner, click that then click scan for issues. If this does not cure ur problem you will for sure have a cleaner machine.

Best of luck.........

birdface 14:05 14 Oct 08

Virgin e-mails were down for 4 days last week.But back on now.

birdface 14:07 14 Oct 08
  T I M B O 14:10 14 Oct 08

WTG buteman lol. I'm just reading that article.

Rahere 14:18 14 Oct 08

CCleaner will also clean your registry - below the brush icon id the registry cleaner - always check results before you agree to delete, if in doubt don't delete or at least back up the registry first!!

Mr Beaujangles 23:28 16 Oct 08

Lads - thanks for all the tips and advice. Tonight - I couldn't get on my browser at all.

I have done anotehr restore back to the 2nd of October and - so far - all looks well. This would also take me back beyond the Virgin problems highlighted in the article buteman posted. I'll keep a note of the link here and if need be - I'll come back to it.

For now though I'll say it is resolved.

Regards

beau

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5