Problems downloading .xls files from web sites

csqwared 15:27 24 Sep 14
Answered

I've always downloaded my Santander statement in .xls format to Linux Mint 13/LibreOffice/Calc without any problem. This months attempt has resulted LibreOffice defaulting to Writer and presenting the statement in HTML source code. I switched to my other machine WinXP Pro/Firefox into MS Excel and get the message "The file you are trying to open is a different format than specified by the file extension". I get the same result using IE8 and WinXP/Excel. I thought this was a Santander problem (currently re-working their web site), but have just tried to download my TalkTalk phone account with exactly the same result. Other files from these sites (PDF, TXT) download correctly.

Any ideas folks?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 24 Sep 14

Only thought is spread sheets can contain macros which possbly your Av program is interpreting as a virus.

csqwared 16:35 24 Sep 14

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

That's what I can't understand. I've not altered any of my AV stuff, Linux will open the file but in HTML and this is the first time over three years I've had a problem? The report from Excel regarding the wrong extension made me think originally of wrongly written software by Santander, but now two sites don't work.

csqwared 19:09 25 Sep 14

As a follow up, tried the downloads on my wife's machine (WinXP Pro with Opera) with the same result. Seems to me the only common denominator is the service provider (TalkTalk). Is that possible?

rdave13 20:17 25 Sep 14

Check your router's security settings. I've no idea of your modem/router so have a google how secure it is. Change settings on it to see if that works. Follows you'll need to change connection data on all machines you have. Apparently even routers are vulnerable to being hacked. Failing that then talk to your ISP about the problem.

Woolwell 21:20 25 Sep 14

Which version of Excel are you using? Are you saving the file and then opening it? Odd that this should be happening with TalkTalk as well as Santandar.

I doubt that the router would be a problem.

rdave13 22:11 25 Sep 14

Woolwell common area is that the problem shows the file extension isn't as stated. Alarm bells should ring now don't you think?

Woolwell 22:45 25 Sep 14

Odd that it occurs on different systems too, Linux and XP. Browser possibly rules out because of use of Firefox. Router's have hard firewalls but not anti-virus/malware. Wonder if the files are xlsx and not xls?

csqwared 19:35 26 Sep 14

Woolwell, rdav13

Using Office 2010 on both Win XP pc's & LibreOffice 4.3.2.2 on Linux.

Linux machine uses Firefox, my Win PC uses Firefox but also tried IE8. My wife's machine uses Opera.

The file will open in Linux but in Writer not Calc and displays the HTML code, which, when 'deciphered' contains the correct information (Transactions etc.) of my account.

I do save the file and then try and open it with the appropriate software. The file title has a .xls extension not .xlsx

I've not experienced problems before nor, as far as I know, has anything changed that would affect all three systems.

I've got a spare router kicking about somewhere, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your input

csqwared 19:36 26 Sep 14

Incidentally the .pdf and .txt files work perfectly.

Woolwell 19:52 26 Sep 14

Have you tried opening Calc or Excel then from that opening the saved file? It would appear that you may be double clicking on the saved file. Or have I got that wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009