problems downloading

SHARON B 11:18 17 May 04

Oh Where do i start !
I have just done an upgrade - new mobo , ddr, cpu - have done clean reinstall xp home - all fine - however, i have put everything back on pc = ie printer, broadband etc - no problems - yet when i go on internet to download it wont have it - eg - I tried to get onto mcafee to re download my anti virus - it keeps coming up unable to locate server , yet other websites are ok - & this has been a problem since yesterday - in addition , i have tried both to dowload avg free - which will download , but i cant install it - the file wont run - incidentally, this is the same even if i try to take it from pca disc.
- i am really stuck - dont know whether ive got more than 1 prob ! any help appreciated !

AndySD 11:36 17 May 04

Start off with a basic check the System File Checker below... also have you updated windows yet?

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

SHARON B 22:11 17 May 04

this enabled me to get on site to dowload virus scan which identified a trojan - once i got rid of that , all ok - cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac