Problems with defragmenting

sparky230v 10:59 10 Jun 03

I attempted to defragment my hardrive yesterday, In the percentage done window it kept ranging between :- 0%to 1% to 2% to 1% to 0% and this is all that happened continualy for nearly 3 hours. I know defrag can take a while but this didn't seem right, so I abandoned the mission, was I right to do so as there is a problem or should I have had a lot more patience?
Please help

bof:) 11:07 10 Jun 03

Hi sparky230v,

What operating system are you using?

If its windows 98, bootup your pc and keep pressing the F8 button this will take you into 'safe mode'. Try defraging from there. To get out of 'safe mode just restart your PC

If you want to defrag from Windows, once booted up, hold down the ctrl+alt+del button and clear everything in the box that appears except systray and explorer. (you have to used crtl+alt+del everytime you need the box to appear)

Try not to press ctrl+alt+del more than once at a time otherwise you will restart your pc.

Then run defrag.

bof:) 11:09 10 Jun 03

If using these methods, I always disconnect from the internet first. Because it turns off your virus checker etc.

Bebee 11:11 10 Jun 03

Hi. Its a common problem if you're using Windows own defrag (assume you are - it helps if you give the OS with a problem). Lots of recs here for Diskeeper Lite - free to download. I use it now and it really is good - quick and effective. You can get it from the download section of this site. click here

Carafaraday 12:36 10 Jun 03

If you have a virus checker - make sure it's disabled. Also disable screen saver, and the monitor turning itself to stand-by (in windows 98 you go to control panel, display, settings). These things can all cause defrag. to restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…