problems copying dvd's

Lardy FB 02:03 20 May 03

i have recently bought a medion platinum pc complete with dvd burner and have tried copying original dvd's so my son can watch them on his ps2 and not damage the originals but for some reason it wont allow me to copy them. is this to do with copy rights or am i doing some thing wrong. i cant see the point in having a dvd burner if i cant burn dvd's. any advice would be very welcome

y_not 06:55 20 May 03

As I understand it PS"'s won't play copied DVD's unless they've been "chipped".

I think that the process of "chipping" is illegal - but I maybe wrong. I heard about it and decided that it simply wasn't worth it.

Have you tried playing DVD's on a "stand-alone" DVD player?

I'm sure someone else will be able to advise further.

Lardy FB 07:04 20 May 03

thanks for that info but that's not the problem- i just cant copy them!!

-pops- 07:08 20 May 03

There are several extensive discussions on these pages on the (copy) rights and wrongs of doing what you are trying to do.

You say you have a DVD "burner". Note this is not the same as a DVD "copier".

crx1600 12:54 20 May 03

all dvd burners have the potential to copy DVD's, all you need is the correct software.(check the PCA news story for a few clues click here )

PS2's can play both formats of DVD fine as i have found, but it all depends which version you have, i beleive that current PS2's are 'version 7', if you have an older version you may be out of luck.

there are sites which tell you what version you have, and what they'll play click here

BigMoFoT 13:06 20 May 03

All original DVD's will have copy protection (CSS encryption usually) and will be dual layer meaning you will NOT be able to copy disk to disk. There are ways of removing the protection so I've heard but you then have to put the 'fit' the film onto a single layer 4.7GB disk (No burners support dual layer yet apart from authoring drives) which usually menas compromising all the specials, menus and a little quality just for the film.

In a nut shell you can't legally do it although there are websites that you give you instructions on how to do so and apparently you need a lot of HDD space as the only way to remove encryption is to copy to your HDD!

crx1600 13:12 20 May 03

with the right sofware a DVD movie can be backed-up in around 30 mins (start to finish)

with a dual layer DVD disc you can either split across 2 discs(or 1 double sided) and keep everything, or compress down to 1 disc and compromise on extra's.

5GB free HD required.

BigMoFoT 13:14 20 May 03

It is illegal to break or remove the CSS encryption on a DVD and should not be promoted in this forum.

P.S You can fit the film onto one disk sacrifcing some specials and menus though.

Xevious 13:20 20 May 03

you can buy the software that'll do what you need:
click here
apparently this works a treat, even though i haven't tried it myself

crx1600 13:47 20 May 03

BigMoFoT,from your own post.

"There are ways of removing the protection..."

ive done no more promotion than you, just advising that copying DVD's has little to do with the 'burner' it's all about the 'software'.

if you can tell me where i have promoted any particular software, id be happy to hear.

The Transporter 13:55 20 May 03

best way is to rip it so you get the vob files

USE smartripper (NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE the page)

click here

Then burn them to a dvd.

Why do you want to try and copy dvds anyway? Usually burners are designed for you own home family movies etc from camcorders etc. Dvd's are as cheap as chips nowadays. I am assuming your son is young as you are scared of them being damaged. So won't he be watching dvd's that you probably won't be interested in anyway. Also the PS2 is very picky at what movies it can play.

You would be better off buying a dedicated dvd player from

click here or something like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…