problems connecting to websites recently

robert01 18:01 03 Jun 07

Just these last few days I have had problems connecting to various websites. It will hang for ages and then I get the message 'Internet Explorer cannot display...".

Last week I couldn't connect to ebay for 3 days and then yesterday it was fine, today it is gone again.

There seems no logic to it - sky.com opens in an instant, bbc.co.uk won't open at all. The same happens on my laptop which shares my Virgin Broadband connection. I cannot get onto the Virgin site to check for issues and cannot connect to Windows Update. The only other error message I got was "phising filter cannot check this website because the Microsoft Online service is temporarily unavailable."

So what do we think - a problem with Virgin, or Broadband in my area, internet settings, Microsoft problems, router settings ? I have made no changes to settings recently, email is fine.

birdface 18:43 03 Jun 07

Could be Firewall settings,What one do you use.Try ,tools , internet options, programs,Make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser,Make sure that it is pressed, Or try,Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services,Make sure DNS Client is set to automatic. Or try Control Panel, Network connections,Right click local area connection and see if it finds any faults,Wild guess that you are using zone alarm.

robert01 13:11 04 Jun 07

Thanks for that, I have checked all those settings and everything looks ok. I have the usual Windows Firewall.

handful 13:38 04 Jun 07

It sounds like your connection is dropping. Do you connect using a wireless router? If so, try rebooting. The pages you can get may be loading from cache giving you the impression you can get some pages and not others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…