problems connecting using wireless

acot 21:40 22 Nov 08

I have recently had BT wireless internet router installed. The wireless internet works fine on my husband's laptop but on mine it says that it is connected but then IE says that the page cannot be displayed, and firefox will not work either.

It works without any problems when connected to the router via an ethernet but not through the wireless.
I have used this laptop to connect to different wireless networks in the past and it has been fine.

Can any give me any advice? I am not good with technical things so please keep it simply worded!

Thanks.

mgmcc 21:58 22 Nov 08

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

acot 22:09 22 Nov 08

yes, I have connected to the correct network and entered the encryption key. Any other suggestions?

Switcher 22:27 22 Nov 08

Does your router support access control which may require that you enter your laptop mac address in the router to enable access

acot 22:40 22 Nov 08

I'm not sure - I've never had a problem connecting to a wireless network until now though. I'm not sure what a mac address is. It works through the wire though.

mgmcc 23:19 22 Nov 08

Every network adapter has a MAC (Media Access Control) address and routers generally support MAC address filtering, so that only those adapters whose MAC address has been entered into the router's settings can connect. However, this wouldn't normally be enabled by default so, unless someone knowledgeable set up the wireless network for you, this feature is unlikely to be in use.

If you've definitely connected properly to the wireless network, check what IP address the Wireless Network Connection has. It should have a 192.168.x.x address. A 169.254.x.x address would indicate that the adapter hasn't been able to get its address by DHCP from the router.

Assuming Windows XP, to check the IP address, open the Network Connections folder, highlight the Wireless Network Connection and look at the address at the bottom of the left pane. click here

acot 23:28 22 Nov 08

thanks for your reply. The IP address is a 192.168.x.xx one and it says 'assigned by DHCP'. What next?

mgmcc 23:47 22 Nov 08

The IP address is OK, which suggests you are connected properly to the router and should have internet access.

Can the Laptop check mail successfully with an email program (Outlook Express?), not a web-based service using a web browser?

cast88 11:50 28 Feb 09

After i formated my laptop runing windows XP i now do not have wireless i have been in and had alook in networking but there is no referrence at all to wireless connection i was not using a net work card i was using the built in wireless connection but were could it have gone ? !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac