Problems connecting printer to usb

robert01 09:13 01 Apr 09

Just bought a new printer - a Cannon MP630, installed the software ok and got to the stage where you connect the USB cables and turn on the printer.

Get a message saying printer not connected, then sometimes if I turn off and reconnect again it will say 'printer connected please wait' and then nothing happens and the 'not connected' message pops up after 5 mins or so.

The tech specs say 'a computer that complies with high speed usb standard is required'. My laptop is an old Acer Aspire 1350 series with USB 2.0 ports - could this be why I am having problems ?

My understanding that an older usb slot may be slower in info transfer but would still work ok or am I wrong ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Simsy 09:23 01 Apr 09

is the high speed standard, so that's not the issue.

I's suspect the USB drivers...

Access them via device manager, uninstall them and reboot. They should then be reinstalled automatically.

Do this without the printer being connected, then try installing the printer again.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

robert01 17:21 02 Apr 09

Problem solved, the part of the installation where it asks you to connect the printer to the pc's usb comes after you have put on all the software, the only way to get back to that point and try again is to load all the software on again ( no real harm in doing that but a bit of a pain ).

So - I connected the printer, turned it on and then looked at the device manager, saw something connected to usb with an exclamation mark against it, right clicked and chose update driver and directed it to the software disc in the drive and windows did the job for me.

So, no problem with usb drivers or cables just looks like the cannon software was having trouble completing the process.

Thanks for the help, hope this helps someone else in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017