Problems connecting PC to routers

rockdoctor2 08:59 15 Feb 09

I am running an HP-Compaq business PC with XP and BT Total Broadband Option 3 and recently my old ADSL router died.

I purchased a new Belkin wireless router (which I will run wired as I have no need for wireless at present) and connected it up to my PC via ethernet. All the right lights are on on the router (power, recognised the ADSL connection and that a computer was attached via ethernet straight away).

However, to setup the router you have to open an internet explorer page and type in the IP address of the router. It keeps telling me however that it can't connect to the router.

I also have a BT Home Hub, which I have not used (It's the white version 2). I followed the instructions and attempted to connect to my PC, but it keeps telling me that there is an error connecting the hub to the PC.

Anybody got any suggestions?

iqs 10:05 15 Feb 09

Not an export with Belkin,have installed many Netgear routers....

Did you use the supplied disc to install ans set up the router.

Check device manager to make sure the NIC card is working.

Also check network connection in the OS,right click local area connection then properties.You should have 2 tabs general and support.Check both and make sure you are connected and the router has assigned an IP address

rockdoctor2 10:12 15 Feb 09

I think it must be a serious PC problem as i'm now having regular crashes and some programs won't work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…