problems connecting to other wireless connections

paul 19:47 08 Mar 08

I have no problem running my laptop wirelessly from my lynskys router at home......when I try to connect to other wireless connections away from my home the computer searches finds networks and connects easily enough showing good strength signal connected......but when i then try to display my homepage I get the ' can not connect page'......i have repaired connection refreshed etc always the same problem.......I am guessing I have a settings box ticked or not ticked properly but no idea which - can anyone advise please

tullie 08:55 09 Mar 08

Are you talking about free Hotspots?

paul 11:43 09 Mar 08

yes free hotspots - but also other people's networks when i have the key......it is as if something is blocking any viewing except off my home wirless setup........I am running xp and it shows as conncted fine with good signal but i can not access any pages...

setecio 15:03 09 Mar 08

I suggest that you reset your linksys router and upgrade the firmware from their site.

paul 15:54 09 Mar 08

cant understand why you would suggest that when the lynskys is the one i have no problem with - or am i missing your point?

setecio 17:19 09 Mar 08

Sorry, I read your posts wrong. Ignore what I wrote.

It sounds like your laptop connection might be set up with a fixed IP address ... check in TCP/IP properties and see if it is automatic or fixed.

paul 20:36 09 Mar 08

Brilliant - that was it sorted now - thanks setecio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac