Problems connecting to certain web applications

stumpy123 09:09 28 Mar 11

I recently got an Acer M3810-2 with Windows 7 and because I'm on BT I loaded McAfee.

I loaded several MMORPG's on the machine, World of Warcraft and Lego Universe and everyting was fine.

However for the past week I have not been able to connect to either applicate. When attempting to load WOW it cannot connect to the update server and it is the same with Lego Universe, I have no problems browsing the web.

After reading several threads on various forums I removed Mcafee (and used the tool from their website) but still no luck. I have used another PC on my internet connection without any issues so I know its the PC and I think the TCP ports that these games need may be shut.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to see what ports are open (given that the firewall says they are) or how to reset all ports.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

lotvic 22:11 28 Mar 11

click here WOW support instructions to configure to allow connect on ports

stumpy123 22:23 28 Mar 11

Already tried that. In Mcafee, and with Mcafee removed with the WIndows Firewall - no luck

lotvic 00:40 29 Mar 11

If you go to Gibson Research click here and click on 'Services' in top bar menu, then 'Shields Up' it will anyalse your ports for you and give a comprehensive list of open ports.
You have to select the service and click on the test that you want done in 'ShieldsUp!! Services'
It is completely free and safe.

It may help you to identify the problem.

Snrub 01:44 29 Mar 11

I also have an acer W7 IE9 on BT with McAfee and runs fine so don't think problems are likely to be McAfee related.You could look at McAfee/ Navigation/ Quarantined and Trusted Items to make sure there are no restrictions there.

If this shows nothing go into Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Files and check these sites are not restricted there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant