Problems configuring Windows 8 email client

Pineman100 27 Nov 12
Answered

I'm just setting up my new Windows 8 laptop. I've been trying to add my old Tiscali (now Talk Talk) email account to the email client software, but it can't find my account.

I've checked the account settings on my old computer, and the only irregularity I can find between the two is that the old incoming server was a POP3. However, the Windows 8 computer doesn't offer this option - it asks me to complete a field headed "Incoming (IMAP) email server", with no option to switch to POP3. I have entered the old POP3 server details (pop.tiscali.co.uk) in this field but this doesn't seem to work.

I can't find any IMAP details on the Talk Talk website. Can anyone help with the correct server details and port number please? And is SSL required?

Many thanks for any advice.

Batch 27 Nov 12

Seemingly, Windows 8 does not support POP3. AFAIK, a fundamental difference between POP3 and IMAP is that with POP3 you are expected to download the emails to your PC for storage (although many ISPs nowadays have the ability to also leave copies of emails on their servers). Whereas with IMAP it is the other way round - their servers are viewed as the prime storage and downloads to your PC are considered transient.

Basically, MS and Windows are taking a Cloud based approach.

The workaround that some sites are suggesting it to open an account with someone else that is supported by Windowsa 8 mail (e.g. outlook.com, gmail) and forward all of your email to them for collection by your Windows 8 email. See click here or here Not very elegant or clever at all.

The alternative is to install a 3rd party email client that does support POP3 as one of the above links suggests.

Pineman100 27 Nov 12

Thanks Batch and dr yes.

I don't want to group my Tiscali emails with those on another account - I keep the Tiscali one just for commercial transactions, so it attracts all the spam.

I guess, therefore, that I shall have to use it via webmail in future. A slight nuisance, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Ford Prefect 01 27 Nov 12
Answer

Tiscali IMAP settings

imap.tiscali.co.uk port 143

smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Pineman100 27 Nov 12

Many thanks for that Ford Prefect. I'll try it and report back.

Meanwhile, make sure you know where your towel is at, man.

Pineman100 27 Nov 12

Bingo!

Thanks a million, Ford Prefect - it worked!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message