Problems with check disc and safe mode

carver 10:05 06 Feb 09

To start, system, XP Pro with service pack 3, anti virus is Norton 360 Beta.

I tried running a chkdsk on my hard drive but it came up with the "windows cannot open this volume for direct access".

Tried several time still with no success, so tried starting in safe mode, press f8 and windows comes up with several options, so try to start in safe mode, just goes to next screen showing list of drivers trying to start and gets no further.

After this only option is to reboot.

I've run virus scans both from Norton and several on line scans all show nothing, I've downloaded Windows Malicious software removal tool and this has found nothing.

Help, I am now floundering and honestly do not know what to do next.

Grateful for any help.

DieSse 10:08 06 Feb 09

Uninstall Norton and try again??

System restore to when it was working OK??

Why are you trying to run chkdsk? - what happened to make you want to?

Pineman100 10:12 06 Feb 09

chkdsk won't run if applications are running. Normally, if you set it to run, it doesn't run immediately but automatically runs on your next restart of the computer.

carver 11:31 06 Feb 09

Last few days system has been a bit slow so decided to run a full scan using Norton 360 Beta, it came up with the result that it could not check the hard drive and recommended that I run a check disc, this I tried with out any success.

Pineman100, when the PC boots up all I get is that the check disc is running but unable to access the hard drive, with the message "windows cannot open this volume for direct access" , and then boots up as normal.

Tried system restore with out any success, same problem, still cannot start windows in safe mode, just locks up after press enter to start in safe mode.

I'll try and reinstall Norton and see if that helps, until then HELP.

Aren't PC's wonderful

Pineman100 17:33 06 Feb 09
  carver 21:42 11 Feb 09

I've being trying to sort the above problems out for a few days now with no success so I decide to repair my version of XP using the disc.

Problem is it will not let me in to repair it, every time it comes to the repair screen it asks for a password, problem is I don't have a password.

So I logged back on and made a password and tried again, got to repair screen, put in password and it's telling me it's invalid.

I'm now a bit concerned to say I've got problems is putting it mildly, any body got any ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5