Problems with CD/DVD drives on xp

paul-228476 19:32 31 Dec 03

i have just bought a new pc and the problem is that everything is fine until i try to use the bootable drives as soon as the disc is put in it starts to boot up then freezes and there,s nothing i can do except restart can someone please help
many thanks
joe

Does the PC start up into Windows OK?

woodchip 19:44 31 Dec 03

you should not have the disc in when you start windows unless you are reinstalling or repairing windows. Also if you put the CD restore disc in it may try to load if it's auto run on the CD. they should work OK with any other CD floppy discs

paul-228476 19:45 31 Dec 03

yes windows boots up ok the freeze only happens when the drives are used

alnwrd 08:59 01 Jan 04

It sounds to me as if the pc is faulty. I would return it for replacement or repair. It is now the seller's responsibility to prove that the goods were OK when sold, and you have the option of repair or replacement. Can I guess what brand it is or have I run out of TIME

Big Elf 12:47 01 Jan 04

Providing it doesn't invalidate the warranty take the side of the case off and check that the ribbon and power cables for the drive(s) are correctly inserted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…