Problems with Broadband

lintony 09:55 29 Apr 05

I have started to have problems with my broadband. It suddenly disconnects and then reconnects. What can be causing this problem?

Linda

961 10:26 29 Apr 05

BT working on line/exchange?

ISP working on servers?

lintony 08:44 30 Apr 05

I am with BT.

Linda

Graham ® 08:57 30 Apr 05

Quite a few things can cause the connection to drop. In no particular order, here are some of them:

Other USB devices starving the modem of power. Disconnect all other devices to test.

Telephone extension wiring picking up mains interference.

Radio interference from fluorescent lights, fridges, baby listeners, local CB or taxi company, etc.

Noise or other fault on BT line.

Faulty filter. Unplug all other devices from the phone line.

Stuartli 14:29 30 Apr 05

Some ISPs recommend that you use a direct RJ11 to RJ11 cable to your Master Socket rather than a telephone extension cable to connect to your modem; using a telephone extension cable can cause disconnections they claim.

lintony 18:22 30 Apr 05

I've had my broadband for a few months now and have never had this kind of problem before. I did have a problem the other week with a browser hi-jacker but managed to get rid of that. It just seems to be since that, that I have started to have the problems losing my broadband connection.

Linda

Graham ® 19:24 30 Apr 05

Tell us more about the hi-jacker and how you got rid. I wonder if a setting was altered at the time.

Check the modem Power Management in Device Manager for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…