Problems with Broadband

gill 17:13 03 Jul 04

Hi Everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I have with my broadband connection.When I originally installed it everything worked OK, I then tried to share my connection with my Laptop using a "Cross-over cable.This was a disaster and didn't work so it was taken off. However,since then I can open several pages without a problem then they start to load very slowly (half a minute some times). It will go ok again for a few more pages then slow up again.I dont think anything is wrong with the Modem etc. because when I connect the modem to my laptop it works perfectly.I am using Wannado with Win 98 SE. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks Gill

scooby43 17:21 03 Jul 04

have u tried uninstalling the software and try again

gill 17:26 03 Jul 04

scooby43.
Yes I have tried that but it made no difference.

gill 17:59 03 Jul 04

;-)

VoG II 18:04 03 Jul 04

Try clearing out your temporary internet files and other dross using CleanhUp! click here

gill 16:33 04 Jul 04

VoG™
Thanks for the suggestion. I will download Cleanup but I have already done a disk clean up and a defrag and it made no difference.

gill 16:36 04 Jul 04

Any other ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks Gill

scooby43 10:53 05 Jul 04

Gill were you able to go back to a system restore point when it last worked if on XP?

simonp1 11:15 05 Jul 04

maybe be a silly idea, but run a Virus check and run adware to make sure you dont have somthing nasty in your system..

gill 21:07 05 Jul 04

scooby43 & simonp1
Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions.
I have run a complete virus check using AVG and have run Adaware which I do every week. No viruses were found there were a few cookies that adaware turned up but nothing serious.
As for System Restore, I dont know how to do that and I was under the impression that it could not be done on Win 98 SE. Gill

scooby43 13:20 08 Jul 04

ah no you can't unfortunatly on Windows 98 SE but I am sure there are programs you can use to back things up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced