Problems booting from USB?

ubuntu1user1jb 18:43 15 Feb 10

I want to boot linux mint from my usb stick so i went in the computer bios and change the boot order.
But it failed to boot from my usb and so i tried different programs such as unetbooting. But it still doesn't work. in the option in my computer bios it says USB-FFD and USB-ZIP.

can anyone help?

thank you

Peter 00:26 16 Feb 10

I have tried to boot my netbook from a USB drive and have found that the netbook wouldn't boot to the USB Drive if the partition was too large.

I had success with a 128 MB (yes I do mean megabyte) and a 512MB that was partitioned to show only 100MB. The 512MB would not boot if the whole 512MB was left as one partition.

This situation may be particular to my netbook or its BIOS, but it is something to be considered. The link below has quite a bit more information on this subject.

click here

Peter.

User-312386 00:55 16 Feb 10

Have you enabled legacy USB in the BIOS?

scotty 08:52 16 Feb 10

How old is the computer? Most computers made in the past 5 or 6 years will support booting from USB device. Perhaps if you give motherboard details someone will be able to suggest something about BIOS settings. Have you checked to see if there is a BIOS update available for the pc?

Have you tried a different USB device? Is there anything unusual about the device (e.g. extra partitions)?

Some computers will offer a boot option as it powers up (e.g. press F12 to select boot options). Do you see anything like this?

How did you put the operating system on the USB stick? How has the stick been formatted (e.g. FAT32, NTFS)?

dms_05 09:10 16 Feb 10

If your interested in that, check out "USB Creator" in Synaptic Package Manager.

dms_05 09:11 16 Feb 10

This is also a useful site click here

ubuntu1user1jb 10:59 16 Feb 10

my computer is about 3 years old

dms_05 11:12 16 Feb 10

Complete instructions and downloads are given click here and as you have the iso you just need the much smaller install program. Run this and point at the iso and your usb stick and the installer does the rest. Takes under 10 minutes to complete the whole process and it then ran first time for me.

Jollyjohn 12:42 16 Feb 10

Not all USB sticks can be made bootable. So far I have had sucess with an Easydisk 128MB stick and a Lexar 2GB stick but no matter what I do my 2GB Verbatim stick will not boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced