Problems with Booting up PC

DW9047 22:21 16 Mar 05

Please Help, My friends PC will not boot up. It is a AMD XP1800, MSI KT4AV Mainboard, 256Ram, Maxtor HD, Windows XP SP1.

When turned on it beeps once ( good Sign ) CDRW/DVD R light and Floppy Drive light comes on, it then goes straight to a screen with this message....
Appologize for Inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
Your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders.
A previous startup attemp was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Then it lists 5 options to start
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt.
Last known good configuration
Start Windows Normally.

No matter which one you choose it will try to boot up windows bringing up the windows screen and shows the processor and RAM and detects the HD/CD etc as it would on proper start, but then it powers down the monitor and reboots as if you have just done the CTRl Alt DEl twice option, but it always goes to this first screen as described above. It's a never ending circle getting nowhere!!!

My friend did say she was experiencing the PC screen freezing and locking up and going slow ie ten minutes to load the Internet (Broadband connection)for a few months before this problem.

Can anyone please advise on a solution or problem.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Technotiger 22:25 16 Mar 05

Hi, it looks to me as if your PSU is in the process of dying. I would strongly advise a replacement PSU.

Cheers.

DW9047 22:34 16 Mar 05

PC is only 15 months old, could the PSU really go this quick?

Thanks for the quick response Technotiger.

woodchip 22:35 16 Mar 05

try starting in safe mode, keep pressing f8 as computer starts choose from list it's at the top

DW9047 22:41 16 Mar 05

Woodchip,

Tried using the safe mode option on screen, but it does not go into safe mode, as I said no matter which option you choose from the 5 it does the same thing.

However just tried F8 key from turn on and I get Different options..
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Enable Boot logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows Domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

I will try Safe mode from this menu, but is there any other in this menu that I should try, or shall I just try all?

Dave

Technotiger 22:46 16 Mar 05

Me again - yes psu can go, just-like-that. I had one go after about 15months, from new.

Technotiger 22:48 16 Mar 05

ps - I had exactly the same never ending circle as you describe.

woodchip 22:51 16 Mar 05

Try just Safe mode from that startup list, If you get into windows safe, Type at the Start/Run MSCONFIG go to startup tab and remove all the ticks exept AV and Firewall. Then try a restart

DW9047 22:51 16 Mar 05

Thanks Technotiger,

Woodchip, Have tried F8 and Safe mode option, same as before I am afraid it tries to boot the powers down the screen and tries to boot again, no success.

Both, If PSU is not working properly, are you suggesting that it is powering some of the PC, ie mainboard but does not have sufficient power to read the HD and boot up Windows?

Dave

Technotiger 22:56 16 Mar 05

In my own experience - yes.

josie mayhem 23:04 16 Mar 05

Yes I had a brand new psu go within a month.

The lazey way of checking psu is the problem.. When I had this what I did, instead of stipping out the spu from the computer, I opened the case of the offending computer, and then with a second computer opened that case and attached thats spu to the 1st computer, to see if it would kick it into action.. BUT REMEMBER THERE IS A RISK WITH THIS METHOD.........

But if the computer had been freezing before hand, it could mean that the actual hhd is failing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…