Problems booting laptop into XP Home

Never again 09:05 13 Mar 07

My friend had bought his compaq presario m2000 laptop into work as it is having trouble booting into XP.

It was working ok until his son attempted a recent messenger download and now only boots as far as the welcome screen and user selection. Any further and windows freezes whilst loading personal settings - it does not go as far as the desktop icons and taskbar. The mouse pointer is operative but no left or right click.

He tells me he has booted into safe mode and attempted system restore but this is unsuccessful.

He also thinks that his windows is installed on his hard drive and does not have any cd's.

I've booted into the BIOS and am running a hard drive self test program at the moment which is now 40% complete.

Your suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks

Taff™ 09:14 13 Mar 07

Get it into safe mode and try System File Checker - Start>Run and type sfc /scannow into the box.

Never again 09:17 13 Mar 07

Hard drive self test program has reported the following error message.

#2- 07 Fail.

How do I find what the specific error is and I'd be interested in what the lkely cause is.

Also, more than anything else - is there a utility, preferably free, that may fix it.

Is it worth running scandisk from a command prompt or safe mode?

Never again 09:19 13 Mar 07

Sorry Taff - missed your post - booting into safe mode now

Never again 09:26 13 Mar 07

Tries to run sfc /scannow but it does not work. I have the space between the sfc and the /.

I get a very fast flash of a window and then back to the safe mode desktop.

Scandisk is not accessable form the start menu but I think it can still be run from a command prompt but can't remember how to do it - any suggestions please.

chub_tor 09:30 13 Mar 07

Can you do a System Restore to a date before the problem ocurred while you are in Safe Mode?

Never again 09:31 13 Mar 07

If the hard drive has failed - how can I boot into safe mode - it does not make sense.

Should I use msconfig to stop certain programs from loading in case it's one of these interfering with normal start up.

There's quite a lot of programs running including msmsgs, bearshare, and some Brother stuff - although control panel does not have a printer listed in safe mode.

chub_tor 09:31 13 Mar 07

Sorry didn't read the full post, forget that I said that.

Never again 09:32 13 Mar 07

Hi chub_tor.

He tried this already.

Taff™ 09:36 13 Mar 07

Bearshare worries me. Can you run a full antivirus check from safe mode?

Never again 09:44 13 Mar 07

He has norton internet security installed but anti virus does not want to run from safe mode - just got a symantic integrator error message - but this may be due to running in safe mode.

I'll untick a few start up programs and attempt a reboot.

back in 10 mins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac