Problems with AVG E-mail Scanner

Dirty Dick 16:53 02 May 05

I'm trying to send an e-mail but it keeps failing. I keep getting the following message:-

"This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.
I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
authentication required - for help go to click here"

I've just retuened from holiday, and the problem was not there prior to this, I've followed the link but I can't understand. Can anyone help a thicko with a simple explanation !!!

Dirty Dick 16:56 02 May 05

Didn't say, Using Windows XP Pro and Outlook Express

Jak_1 18:52 02 May 05

First off check that the pop3 and smtp info have not been altered and your user info.

open outlook express > tools > accounts > properties > servers.

If all is well there then check settings > tools > options.

Hope this helps.

bosmere 19:25 02 May 05

Dirty Dick for the last few days I've been having e-mail problems due to the AVG scanner with messages being returned. When trying to receive mail the AVG icon just spun round and round non-stop.

I'm currently running with the e-mail scanner de-activated.

ps. My OS is ME with Outlook Express, but my laptop with XP is running OK.

Dirty Dick 20:38 02 May 05

My ISP is BT Openworld (Yahoo) and I've managed to get on to their site, and changed my password. It then offered to carry all my settings over to Outlook Express. I accepted this and now when I open Outlook Express it opens a dialogue box asking me to connect via a dial-up-connection. I AM ON BROADBAND!!. My laptop has used to connect wirelessly via a Netgear Wireless Modem/Router, never having all these problems.

Can any one help please.

Thanks DD

p;3 22:11 02 May 05

I am with BTYahoo openworld, BB, with a voyager usb ADSLmodem; I am not always on connection and one way of connecting is via the "dial-up" box;another way is to left click the green arrows to get a different screan for connecting ; does that help?

and Bosmere; suggest reactivate emial scanner before you get infected::)))and check machine NOW for any infections you do not now know about; a switched off scanner is as useless as having nowt; you need to sort out the problem and not just ignore it by swithing off your line of defense:)

sugest , start an independent thread with your query:)

p;3 22:12 02 May 05

sorry-typos in that lot::))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 02 May 05

click here

PhiltheFragger 22:30 02 May 05

Suggest that it is pointless scanning outgoing mail, as any bugs should have been detected before.

to stop this in AVG, Open control Centre, select Email scanner, click Properties. On next page hit properties again, Select "servers" Hilight the SMTP server and delete,

Dirty Dick 22:54 02 May 05

Tried disabling AVG scanner, and then even turned AVG off, but still rejected the e-mail. Turned AVG back on.

Had a think, used AVG To scan - No virus. Then turned off System Restore and re-scanned- Again No Virus.

AVG Now back ON!!

Don't know whick Left Green Arrow you mean.

Fruit Bat /\0/Your link comes up with a blank page?

Have turned off outgoing scan, but still can't get e-mail OUT. but I am receiving e-mails.

Have tried sending e-mail to BT for help but can't get OUT. My nephiew has sent e-Mail to me but when I reply just get this message:-

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Re: TESTY', Account: 'BT Openworld Mail', Server: '', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go to click here', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78.

HELP !!!

Thanks Everyone

Dirty Dick 22:57 02 May 05

Has anyone got a telephone number fot BT Braodband? as usual, I can't put my hand on it at the moment, and Yes you have guessed it- I can't E-mail them either !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…