Problems with AVG Antivirus Free Edition V.60557

Pappyon 18:08 31 Mar 04

I can not download the update files for this utility. I get a message telling me that "An Automatic connection to the Internet can not be established." (This is when I am actually connected.) Disconnecting and trying to reconnect via the Update Manager in AVG makes no difference. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program to no avail.

I am also running Zone Alarm, but AVG has internet access in the program.

I also went to the AVG site click here to try and download the update files manually, but when I click on the appropriate link, nothing happens.

I would stress that AVG was running perfectly until recently and I could download updates without any trouble. I have no idea what is causing this problem!

Djohn 18:28 31 Mar 04

Hi Pappyon. Nothing wrong with your end, it's just that the site is very busy now and you may need to attempt the download 3-4 times but it will connect and come through. j.

Hi,
Choose one of the files from this page to download. You will be presented with an option to open, save etc. Choose SAVE and save in the folder Program files\Grisoft\Avg\Update
Browse to this folder if necessary. The file will be saved to your hard disc. Restart AVG by clicking on Start, Programmes, AVG and your update file shoud be picked up and the update should install as you are used to already.
I have been using this for some time now as I too was experiencing the same problems that you related in your message.
Hope this helps.
John.

Newuser1030 18:29 31 Mar 04

Having the same problem too, since last update at begining of March, AVG will not connect?????

Smiler 18:33 31 Mar 04

It's a universal thing click here

click here

Djohn 18:51 31 Mar 04

click here Scroll down to my post at 15:54 and you'll see how to change your .url file to allow 3 different up-date sites. Courtesy of nellie2.

Pappyon 19:04 31 Mar 04

I thank all who answered my post.

jomahony

I downloaded the file to my Downloads folder, then copied it to Grisoft\AVG\Update and I am still being told that my Virus database is out of date. I am getting a message telling me that the virus database I have is dated 30/12/2003.

I can't understand this as I have done this in the past, without any problems. Could I have downloaded the wrong update? I downloaded the file U612M9JC.

Djohn 19:09 31 Mar 04

Version should be 6.0.642. That may be your problem Pappyon as versions older than this will not now up-date. j.

Hi Pappyon,

It depends on how long since you last updated. The file you downloaded would require an update in the last week or so. I suggest you try one of the other ones further down on the same page. Check what version you have at present by clicking on the information tab.You will be looking for an entry there Program version: 6.0.648 - the last three numbers are the important ones. If they are higher than 516, one of the updates on the page will do, If not you will have to update to 516 first - very last section on the page.

Good luck with it.
John.

Djohn 19:52 31 Mar 04

648 is the update number. The version number is still at 6.0.642. Latest data-base is 414. j.

Pappyon 19:58 31 Mar 04

Thanks again everybody. I am very grateful.

I have downloaded and installed version 642 of AVG. Do I still have to download the update file for it, or is this done automatically with the update.

I must close down now, as I have to go out, but I will be back tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…