problems with AVG 8.0 free edition with up-date

denzo01 20:51 12 May 08

I have been using the AVG 7.0 free edition for windows xp over the last 6 months then had a notice thar it was upgrading to the new AVG 8.0.

I had then unintalled the old edition for the new version, but now i keep having the msg saying ( UP-DATE MANGAGER FAILED each time i start my computer.

I use a DLS modem and i have been to the advanced settings to click ( dial-up to connect online, but still get problem with up-date manager failed.

Can someone help me pls

Technotiger 21:05 12 May 08

Hi, right-click on the AVG icon and open AVG User Interface, then click on Update Manager, untick Start Automatic Updates, then update manually.

denzo01 21:27 12 May 08

Hi there Tech

I think i have already tried that, when i unticked the update manager i tried to start the update manually but it still wouldnt work.

Did i need to use my old Licence number for the new upgrade, what i done was just uninstall the old one, then just downloaded the new 8.0 version without adding my old Licence num does this matter.

TY

Technotiger 21:31 12 May 08

You should have left your old AVG7.5 in place, AVG8 uninstalls it automatically. Try adding your old licence number.

denzo01 00:22 13 May 08

ah right i done it the wrong way round and lost the Licence nym when i uninstalled the old version, is there away that i can restore the old Licence num by contacting AVG dircectly.

I have just been in the advance settings and noticed ( when to up-date files,

Do i need to click any of the below options if so which one.

up-date Upon computer restart or

up-date Immediately

Technotiger 07:06 13 May 08

Try - Up-date immediately, if that does not work try the other option.

Technotiger 07:08 13 May 08

Or you could try a System Restore and choose a restore date prior to you deleting the old AVG.
If that works, you could then start again from scratch.

setecio 09:10 13 May 08

>>>>>>>
Technotiger
Mon, [email protected]:31

You should have left your old AVG7.5 in place, AVG8 uninstalls it automatically. Try adding your old licence number.
<<<<<<<

The advice on the avg free forums is to completely uninstall 7.5 first, which is the way I did it without any problems.
click here

Technotiger 09:17 13 May 08

Hi, interesting, I did mine over the top of the old one, I have had no problems at all either.

setecio 09:24 13 May 08

Sounds like both methods work fine.
I wonder why they recommend an uninstall first.

Technotiger 09:39 13 May 08

Me too - btw, mine retained my Registration number, did yours?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…