Problems after XP Reinstal

Jonno131 12:50 26 Nov 07

Having just done an XP Home full reinstal, I'm left with a PC that wont see either my Speedtouch ADSL modem or my CD/DVD writer. I've tried the "Add New Hardware" Wizard but Windows cant find the modem. The crazy thing is that if I boot with a UBUNTU boot disk I can get online and the CD/DVD drive is seen and correctly identified.
Incidentally, I would urge everyone to burn a UBUNTU boot CD. It has been invaluable in this present crisis.
Thanks.

Totally-braindead 13:41 26 Nov 07

When you reinstalled windows did you then load the motherboard drivers before you did anything else?

If you didn't its possible this might be causing the problem.

Jonno131 14:40 26 Nov 07

Thanks Braindead.I didn't. I've managed to get my CD/DVD recognised using a Registry tweak from this Forum. Now when I run the Setup CD for the ADSL modem I get the message cant find any LAN interface, make sure TCP/IP is installed.(It is.) In Device Manager my LAN entry has a big yellow question mark, but Windows cant reinstal the Driver. I'll have a root around the gigabyte website and see if I can locate the MB drivers..

Totally-braindead 17:34 26 Nov 07

The LAN is just one of the drivers you are missing. I would download all the drivers from the Gigabyte site for your board and install them all. Windows loads its own propriety drivers which are sometimes newer than the ones you have on your original CD if they are then windows will tell you.
I would also reinstall the graphics drivers after you reinstall the motherboard drivers as very often without the motherboard drivers being installed first they may not work properly.

Jonno131 20:32 26 Nov 07

Thanks Braindead. I've downloaded all the drivers from Gigabyte and they are sitting nicely on the UBUNTU desktop. Problem is I'm running UBUNTU from a CD. I cant see any way to get them onto any of my HDs to run them under Windows. As soon as I shut down UBUNTU they will disappear (I guess) so I cant burn them to a CD. Unless you know of any way to get the drivers from the UBUNTU desktop to one of my HDs I'll find a sympathetic friend with Internet access and download again tomorrow. I think you have put me on the right track. Thanks for your help. I'll report back.

cream. 20:50 26 Nov 07

Doesn't UBUNTU recognise either a usb pen drive or a flash card?

If you have a card reader or usb ports you could transfer the drivers onto them and then load them onto XP.

Jonno131 08:13 27 Nov 07

Absolutely correct. Many thanks. I copied the files to a pen drive which Windows saw OK. I now have a seperate problem. When I try to install the drivers I get a message: 1607:unable to install installshield scripting runtime.

Since you have identified the first problem I'm marking this off as resolved and opening a new thread. Again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…