Problems after uninstalling! Please help!

budget84 12:13 09 Jul 09

I am new to this site and would be grateful for any help and advice you can give me. Yesterday I decided to give my computer a bit of a clean up as it was running very slow. I have Windows XP and the programmes I run to clean up my computer are CCleaner and Registry Mechanic. I used CCleaner to uninstall some programmes that I no longer/rarely use. I'm not sure the exact programme I uninstalled when I started having problems but I know it was either Corel Paintshop or Skype. Since uninstalling these programmes I have two things happening. First one is that when I try to open a programme windows installer begins and after loading it comes up with an installation error for Microsoft Office Professional, even though the programme I am trying to load is not related to Microsoft Office. The error message reads - 'Installation Error - File not found. A required installation file SKU011.CAB could not be found. Original installation source required - if you installed microsoft office professional edition 2003 from a CD please insert your CD. If you installed microsoft office professional edition 2003 over your computer network please browse to the installation source on your network. Once you have located your installation source click OK'. The second problem I am having is that something called Search Settings 1.2 keeps popping up, I can not remember off the top of my head what the message says but it is trying to install or uninstall something related to Search Settings 1.2 and says that it will need to close all actions of Internet explorer. I am concerned as this programme (search settings) was next to Skype on my uninstall list and I am worried that I accidentally clicked uninstall on search settings without realising, but I am not certain of this, it's just a theory. I do not have any installation CDs for Microsoft office etc so am concerned the solution is to reinstall these programmes. Any help or advice you can give me will be much appreciated as I use my computer for work and it is not running properly at the moment. Thank you for your time. Amy

Technotiger 12:21 09 Jul 09

Hi, and welcome to the best Help Forum on the 'Net ...

In the first instance, I would advise you to do a System Restore back to before your did the un-installing. Let us know how that goes and then we can give further assistance if still needed.

birdface 12:22 09 Jul 09

Maybe a system restore to a time before the problem.

birdface 12:24 09 Jul 09

Oops beaten to it.Ignore mine.

budget84 12:25 09 Jul 09

Thank you for your quick responses. Sorry I forgot to say I have tried system restore from a number of restore points but it will not allow me to do this. It says restore was unsuccessful.

Technotiger 12:27 09 Jul 09

I assume you did choose Restore Point dates shown in Bold print? the other dates are not restore points.

budget84 12:27 09 Jul 09

Yes I chose the bold dates. I tried about 10 different dates too, even going back to last month and it just won't allow me to do it.

Technotiger 12:37 09 Jul 09

I have not read all through this, but I hope it helps ...

click here

Technotiger 13:03 09 Jul 09

I believe this may be a Virus or Malware, you should attempt to un-install it using click here

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

If you are unsure whether you have accidentally uninstalled Skype, simply re-download and re-install it, you will then have the latest version anyway.

luthier 13:18 09 Jul 09

I have previously had problems with System Restore along the same lines as you. I eventually discovered that my Kaspersky antivirus was the culprit. When I unticked the boxes as indicated here click here the system restore worked. I understand that there is also a problem with other antivirus programs such as Norton but I can't help with those settings I'm afraid

budget84 13:22 09 Jul 09

Thank you for your help Technotiger. I clicked on the article you sent me about the SKU but unfortunately after restarting my computer this did not seem to help. When I open a programme it still comes up with windows installer and searches for Microsoft Office professional (even though I am not even trying to load this programme) but instead if it coming with the error message it now recognises the programme I am trying to load and the window disappears. So it hasn't got rid of the windows installer message but it has helped with it not recognising and asking me to reinstall.

About the second problem. I was not concerned that I had accidentally uninstalled Skype, I wanted to remove this, what I meant was and sorry if I wasn't clear was that Search settings was next to Skype so I was worried that I accidentally tried to uninstall that as well as Skype, was not sure what Search settings was and if it was important to the computer or not. You have now told me that Search Settings is potentially harmful so I will now try and remove this with the advice you have given me. Will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…